‘Free to Roam’ elephant conservation project highlighted on World Elephant Day

Photo courtesy Exodus Travels.

Award-winning adventure tour operator Exodus Travels launched a new documentary, Living in the Land of the Tuskers on World Elephant Day (August 12). The short film showcases the work being done with Kenyan conservation experts to support the continued roll-out of the Free to Roam elephant conservation project, launched in 2021 in Kenya’s Tsavo West National Park. 

Funded through The Exodus Travels Foundation, the Free to Roam project allows elephants and other wildlife to thrive by empowering Tsavo communities to give 90 per cent of land back to nature. Food security for the Kamungi Conservancy, located on the northern boundary of Tsavo West National Park, is maintained by delivering permaculture training for locals who own the remaining 10 per cent of the land. This buffer zone aims to help form a peaceful co-existence between local wildlife and members of the surrounding community.

Through the Free to Roam project, the Tsavo Trust and the Tofauti Foundation encourage the WeKamba communities to engage in the conservation of elephants and other wildlife and, through the use of improved farming techniques, generate economic opportunities for the local families to become self-sufficient through sustainable means.

For more information on the Free to Roam project, please click here.